Google

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Kerbey Lane - Austin, Texas

Who has the best pancakes in Austin? I think my homemade are the best and so does Mrs. Food (she better) but when I go out for pancakes, one of the first places I always think about is the Original Kerbey Lane Café just north of UT and Austin’s growing med center (3704 Kerbery Lane).

Opened in the early 80’s (some of you won’t remember the 80’s…I have a problem with the 70’s) Kerbery Lane has become one of Austin’s fav eating spots for both locals and visitors alike.

Operating out of a small location, both parking and getting a table can take a few minutes but with the nice stress free felling Kerbey lane offers waiting should not prove to be a problem.

This morning Mrs. Food and I were able to seat right away and the server quickly took our order. I decide to have the Biscuits, Eggs and Gravy w/ the sausage side $5.95. I just love this stuff, the way the sausage has just a hint of smokey taste matches really well with the gravy. Mrs. Food had the Breakfast Platter $5.35 (2 eggs, 2 half size pancakes, fresh fruit and bacon). She can never finish all the food so I get to enjoy the pancakes, always part of my evil plan when I suggest eating here.

Kerbey Lane also offers soups, sandwiches, entrees and a large variety of salads including Cobb Salad $8.95 (avocado, bacon, bleu cheese crumbles, purple onion, vine-ripe tomatoes, hard boiled egg and chicken breast served over mixed greens). If you are in the mood for something other than breakfast I would defiantly recommend this. Check out their website www.kerbeylanecafe.com for the complete menu.

Mr. Food says two spoons up for the Original Kerbey Lane. I would feel ok about bring out of towner’s to eat here. Kerbery Lane is one of the places I hope never changes (not to be confused with the UT Kerbey Lane which needs a lot of help and is a horrible place to eat) I would definitely recommend the Original Kerbery Lane to traveling shows… if you have a big drive ahead of you a great breakfast can make all the difference.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 12/07/2006 12:20 PM , Blogger Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

When I lived in Austin, I always used to order the gingerbread pancakes. Yum!

I have an old T-shirt from Kerbey Lane with a drawing of a huge stack of pancakes. Whenever I wear it in New York, people will come up to me and say, "I love Kerbey Lane!"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home