Google

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Polvo's Mexican Restaurant - Austin,Texas

My good friend The Fin and I started drinking at Freddie’s Place on South 1st around 8pm Thursday evening. We met up with the German and Nico for a few “Crutches” and some causal conversation. Our attention quickly turned to food, and based on many recommendations, the Fin and I hopped across the street to one of south central Austin’s best Mexican restaurants, Polvo’s. Once again, as the seeker of truth and great food, Mr. Foodblog accepted the challenge. Was Polvo’s everything people said it was? Even at 9pm we had to park better than a block away… Polvo’s was rocking.

We sat on the patio next to entrance, which the Fin told me was the best spot for quick easy service. Josh, our waiter, brought us two frozen margaritas and some chips. I hit the salsa island and was happily surprised to see “ Escabeche”- (pickled carrots, onions and Jalapenos) offered with at least four different kinds of salsa.

For our entrees, Fin chose the Fajita al Guajillo $8.99 – (chicken fajitas sautéed with sun dried peppers, grilled onions and poblano. Served with guacamole and sour cream, rice, charro beans, corn or flour tortillas). I decided to try the Chile Relleno Original $8.99 – (Chili poblano pepper stuffed with your choice of cheese, vegetables, chicken, or ground beef, topped with a red sauce and Monterey Jack cheese. Served with rice, beans). I chose the beef relleno and the corn tortillas, which by the way Polvo’s makes on site. I just love homemade corn tortillas. Both of our entrees where big and full of flavor; no complaints from either the Fin or myself. I had to order extra corn tortillas, thin and light, perfect for the meal. After a second round of drinks, I was very, very full. The Fin and I had no room for dessert. Total cost for entrees and two rounds of margaritas - $42 (not including tip)

Mrs. Food told me when I got home that she is a big fan of the Vegetable Tamales, which can be ordered a la cart.

Mr. Foodblog gives Polvo’s Two Spoons Up. I now understand why so many local Austinites have recommended Polvo’s. Josh our server was on the money. The food was really good and the portions where large if not giant in size. I was very impressed with the corn tortillas and the margaritas…potent. On the down side, parking involved having to walk and the bathrooms could have used some work. I checked out Polvo’s website and found much to my surprise a coupon for half off on the second entree…a nice touch.

Polvo’s
2004 S 1st St
Austin, TX 78704
Sat 7:00am-11:00pm
Sun-Fri 7:00am-10:00pm
(512) 441-5446
http://polvos.citysearch.com/?cslink=profile_info_website_cust

Happy Hr from 4-7pm: Mon - Friday

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home