Google

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Ikea Cafe - Austin,TEXAS

Dreaming of a new kitchen, Senora Foodblog and I headed north to Austin’s brand new and long awaited IKEA.

Ikea, if you have never been, is quite the experience. Big and bold, the first thing I noticed was the blue paint and the giant parking lot. Inside the store is like a mad house, so many people, shopping or just looking and dreaming like the Senora and I. We walked around for and hr or so, checking out the many different kitchen layouts and furniture styles available, salivating and making wish lists for our home. Much to our surprise, as we came close to the end of our tour, we discovered that Ikea has a Café serving drinks, sandwiches and hot food. Intrigued, I just had to see what was going on.

Can you believe it…salmon, meatballs and even mac & cheese? Senora Foodblog and I decided to try one of the sandwiches offered, focaccia bread with buffalo mozzarella, tomatoes and fresh cut basil. The sandwich, cut in two parts, was more than enough to feed both of us; Senora Foodblog had a hard time finishing her portion. Our cost for the sandwich was just $3.50…watch-out Central Markup. We also had some apple cake/pie and drinks. The food was great. Giant servings! Our total cost came to just over $7. The same meal would have cost twice as much anywhere else in town. Both of us where very satisfied and very pleased with our meal.

One of the guys in my office “ The Gambler “ told me, as I am writing this, that he had a bad experience with the café. He told me that they were out bottled water; the staff was very short when he asked for a cup to use for the water fountain. He had the meatballs, which he thought where not so good. On the positive side he just loved the mac & cheese. He said it was like the mac & cheese mom would serve.

I guess is any given day when you eat out. Sometimes the planets align just right but in some cases people just have a bad day. Senora Foodblog and I both give Ikea two spoons up. We like our experience. The food was good and the service was without incident. As we were leaving, I noticed a big sign on the side of the building that said .99cent breakfast…eggs, sausage and potatoes.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home