Google

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Lewis' BBQ - Austin, TEXAS

Sometimes the new is the old. Like the magpie, we move towards shiny things, the new things; things that help us think we are moving forward in the world and with our lives. But some would also argue with great passion that is it important to remember our roots, to keep the past alive. Gain and learn from our past experiences whenever we can.

And so, The Gambler and I headed deep into East Austin, looking for what may be one of the oldest operating BBQ joints in Travis County. You may have seen the place; small, pink, on east MLK, close to Airport Blvd? Well if you haven’t seen it, start looking. Lewis' BBQ has been open and serving high-grade beef for about 100 years, I was told by the nice lady working the window.

As a rule, usually with my first visit to a new BBQ place I order a sample plate. I find this is an easy way to discover if the food is worth the money. For $7.25 I got ¼lb brisket, ½ sausage link, ¼lb mutton, small side of beans and a bottle of root beer. What!? Most places around town serve two meats for $8-10 a plate - I knew I had hit BBQ pay dirt. The brisket tasted like brisket, as Lewis' BBQ doesn’t soak their beef in smoke like some places around Austin. And the sausage comes from Elgin, need I say more. The mutton was wonderful. I am a giant mutton fan and was very happy to find a second place locally (along with Sam’s BBQ) that has the meat on the smoker. When I had finished my meal and it was time to leave, I felt sad. I felt like I was leaving an old friend. But I know I will be back soon.

Senor Foodblog gives Lewis' BBQ two spoons up. Great prices, great meat and no flash or fluff to distract you from the real work at hand, enjoying your food. Both The Gambler and I were very pleased with our meals. Primitive setup - all eating is outside on the covered patio, but comfortable. Lewis' is now part of my regular BBQ crawl. The old becomes the new and I feel reborn.

Lewis’ BBQ
1814 Harvey (@MLK)
512 473 2225

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home