Google

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Café Mundi - Austin, Texas

Have you heard of Café Mundi? I bet some of you have, but most of you have not. Kinda hidden on East Fifth Street next to the east side’s new light rail tracks, Café Mundi has retained that local feel that Austin is so famous for. There is always something going on. Monday nights are for outdoor movies, while just about everyday someone is performing music, dance or spoken word.

I stopped by Café Mundi to meet my dear friend, the Platypus. We had plans to cut some fire wood and maybe have a beer or two. I noticed that Café Mundi was carrying a Pierre Celis beer for $10 a bottle. I haven’t seen it sold any where else around Austin, if you have, please let me know. Platypus was running late so I decided to check out the menu and see what was going on. A cold front had just come through Austin and the normal oven roasting afternoon temp had dropped quit a bit. The daily soup special was French Onion. I ordered the soup, a glass of Mundi’s unsweetened hibiscus tea and paid a little over $6 total.

One of the best parts about Café Mundi is the outdoor area. Beautiful trees surrounding a small stage, wonderful landscaping that makes you feel that the city is very far away. I found a table and awaited my soup. About that time Platypus showed up and we starting talking. My soup arrived and I was so very happy. A large hot bowl of soup, a thick layer of melted Provolone cheese smothering large crutons, served with a side of bread… I was licking my lips. Platypus immediately ordered a bowl for himself. The onions where sweet and the broth, not beef, but a vegetable broth, made the soup light and perfect for a mid afternoon snack.

Mr. Foodblog says Two spoons for Café Mundi. A quiet afternoon, on a nice cool day, relaxing conversation, Café Mundi hit the spot. The soup just tied the whole experience together. If you don’t know Café Mundi, check out their web site or if you are just cruising around the east side and need a little cup of Joe, stop on by. Café Mundi is a true Austin oasis in an ever growing and ever changing city.

Café Mundi
1704 E. Fifth Street
Austin, Texas
http://www.cafemundi.com/index.php

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home