Google

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Marco Polo Restaurant ( Dim Sum) - Austin,TEXAS

“Originally a Cantonese custom, dim sum is inextricably linked to the Chinese tradition of "yum cha" or drinking tea. Teahouses sprung up to accommodate weary travelers journeying along the famous Silk Road. Rural farmers, exhausted after long hours working in the fields, would also head to the local teahouse for an afternoon of tea and relaxing conversation.”…. Rhonda Parkinson

Invited by Polyurethane, Cherry Bomb roller-girl exstordinaire, and The Grip for Sunday Dim Sum at Marco Polo Restaurant, how could we refuse? It has been a long time since I last dined on good dim sum, and for Senora Foodblog, her first time. I wasn’t certain what to expect but both Poly and The Grip had assured us we were in for a special treat. Located at Oltorf and I-35, Marco Polo is easy to find. Parking is not an issue.

We arrived around 10:50am to a line already forming. Show up early, or expect to have to wait for a table. After we were sat and our drink orders were taken, carts full of dim sum began to circulate the room. Now I am no expert, and the names of the items…I just don’t know, so I will do my best to describe what we ate and what we saw. Ready…

Dumplings: Shrimp, pork and combinations including mushrooms and leeks
Meat stuffed rolls much like kolaches
Noodles of all types: fried, soft, or stuffed with beef and chicken
Exotics: Jellyfish, pig ear
Small fried egg roll type items
Pork spare ribs
Shrimp balls, tuna
And many unusual looking desserts.

When we finally finished our feast and walked away from the table, I felt overwhelmed by the amount of food I had eaten. Every thing was really good. And as we left the building, the line was still there, with a lot of folks trying to get some of the dim sum action.

Senor Foodblog gives Marco Polo two spoons up. Guys, the food was wonderful. Different and a great change from the standard Chinese fare served around Austin. The servers were friendly and happy to answer any questions about the food and even give a little history about what you are eating. As I mentioned, get to Marco Polo Restaurant early if possible, as you will encounter a line. Be open to try some new flavors, I didn’t even begin to scratch the dim sum surface with my food list above, but I promise that you won’t be disappointed.

Marco Polo Restaurant
2200 S. I-36
512 445 5563

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home