Google

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Mac and Cheese

Did someone say macaroni and cheese?  I love to make and eat macaroni and cheese, doesn't everyone?  I guess not but it is safe to say that most of us associate fun memories with eating the good old mac and cheese.   I have been on a life long quest to find the best mac and cheese recipe. I must have made it ten different ways by now.  I bet you would say, "My mom makes the best!"  Ok, I would accept that…. it's mom after all.  But really…who has the best recipe? It might surprise you but I think that Luby's mac and cheese is pretty darn good.  Mrs. Food turned up with the Luby's recipe book and I immediately broke out the pans and went to work.

 

2-cups dry elbo macaroni

1-2 tbls nonfat dry milk powder

2 tbls all-purpose flour

1 tbls butter

1 ¼ cup boiling water

3-cups American cheese...about 12oz shredded

1 small can green Hatch green chiles (my addition)

1-cup rice crispy squares (my addition)

¼ tsp salt

 

Cook macaroni according to package directions.

Heat oven to 350º F.

In a large bowl, mix dry milk, flour, and butter.

Gradually add boiling water, beating constantly.

Add 1 1/4 of the cheese, green chilies and continue beating until smooth and creamy.

Stir in macaroni, 1 cup of the remaining cheese, and salt.

Transfer to lightly greased 2-qt baking dish.

Cover with foil.

Bake 25 minutes.

Remove foil.

Sprinkle with remaining 1/2-cup cheese.

Crunch up rice crispy squares and sprinkle over top

Continue baking until rice crispy brown or until you can't wait any more.

Serve ... and enjoy

 

I am such a little piggy; I usually make a double batch. This goes well with just about anything and its kid friendly… I have the official title of Uncle Food around a number of my friend's homes.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.

 

Have a Cheesy day.

Mr. Foodblog

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home